Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Forthcoming posts

Is it enough to say that I have posts forthcoming? Does that help the anxiety of wishing I had more time to collect thoughts, share ideas, etc.?

I suppose so, since a friend (Roland) recently said he had some posts that he was working on, I too must claim this to keep the peace. I am "guilty" of the thinking the following: poor wording, no resolution, not deep enough, so it goes into the cancel section of my mind. Furthermore, I know nothing of politics, music, and film to share with my well-informed friends--I have only a curious spirit.

This curiosity brought me to blogging as a way to keep in touch with friends, steal their ideas, and take their reccomendations for good reading, art, etc.

Recently this has come in the form of Annie Dillard (For the Time Being). Being the prude that I am, I have procrastinated Dillard for some time thinking that she was something she is not, but it was well worth it--I wasn't ready. Her voice, her curiosity, her way of allowing things to just "be" and not try to always force closure on her arguments--I am mystified. She relates the world in a catalogue of seemingly unrelated stories (new and old) and allows language to mirror nature.

Now there's a thought--Dillard's language sounds like nature. I think she would like to hear that. I am glad that I can drive to the sound of her words--this book is on tape in my car.

3 Comments:

Blogger Illuminated Script said...

jo,

thanks for the recc'n--i;ll add it to the list. Kitchen Stories, you say.

you are blood related to an old college friend---so i guess you can post here--kidding, of course.

how is Buck?

10:27 AM  
Blogger Illuminated Script said...

Yes, the word "blog" sounds distasteful and rude, not refined as such Germanic words as "beer" and "loaf." Somehow our Germanic anscestors have a naive amd wonderful simplicity to their language.

Thanks to the Norman aristocracy (post 1066)our Germanic/Celtic language has been infected by three or more syllable words.

And as far as what the acedemy does in comparison to US lay folks--it is, as your tone presumes--perhaps another day I can describe my experience here in the land of self-appointed experts of specialized fields.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Rew said...

hey, quit knocking on us Germanians. (and don't you mean "bier"? ah, how i miss the Brew Works... although, i WAS in The Old Toad this weekend!) um, Mike -- i couldn't help but notice that you've mentioned "books on tape" several times (i.e. twice) already in your few blogs. i'm sure "For the Time Being" is awesome in any format, but it begs the question: have you forgotten how to read?? i know, i know: you don't have the time. but when you do, you have a lot of catching up to do with Dillard: read "Holy the Firm" next. (it's, like, 80 pages long! but it'll be the best damn 80-page book you'll ever read!) "American Childhood" is insanely entertaining, and you should be ashamed that you haven't read it (or have you?) cuz it's mostly Annie's autobiography about growing up in the 'Burgh. "Teaching a Stone to Talk" is a collection of awesome essays. aww, just read everything she's ever written!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home